Thursday, January 7, 2010

To Poach or Not to Poach: Here's the answer

I love eggs. I've always loved eggs. Do remember the first time you had one? Scrambled probably, huh? Not to say I "hate" scrambled eggs, but I think the only place for them is in a quiche. Again, that's me. Everybody tried them, you either like them or not - or you can't eat them at all which is tragic- but they are in almost everything, serve umpteen million purposes from culinary to hair gel or missiles. "My" egg is over-medium. I will go into this further...
From a guy who has served breakfast at several places, please take these things into consideration when ordering "your" egg:
  1. "Over-easy" doesn't mean cooked whites/runny yolk - that would be over-medium. Over-easy is set on the bottom, flipped and cooked long enough to yawn and wonder what you were doing, then flipped again and slid on a plate. Bam...over-easy.
  2. "Over-medium" has a completely cooked white, slightly warmed yolk (enough to make it oozy but not watery. This is achieved by making an over-easy egg but after the first flip, butter two pieces of bread and swirl the pan before flipping. The swirl isn't necessary - you're killing time. Flip again (or not, whatever, it's done anyway) and onto the plate.
  3. "Over-hard" means it's completely solid - nothing runny. Scrambled without the effort.
  4. "Basted" is old-fashioned and essentially over-medium but slightly different in preparation. It's covered, cooking the top of the egg with circulated heat instead of flipping it. It's prettier than a traditional fried egg.
  5. "Poached" is the deciding factor of whether or not the breakfast cook has any idea what they're doing. It's also the healthiest way to cook an egg (except doing whole-boiled) because you don't have to use any fat. This is what I will show you today. Also known as the "three minute egg", it can be butchered easily and when served over done is the same thing as a hard boiled egg. Hence "THREE MINUTE EGG" - IT SHOULD ONLY BE IN THERE 3 - 3:30 MINUTES!
  6. I think I already told you what I thought about scrambled...but in addition to quiche, an omelette is another acceptable use for scrambled eggs.  Simply with cheese is nice.
Here we go...Get a decent size sauce-pan and enough water to be able to submerge your hand (how's that visual help?). Bring it to a boil with a little salt.




After the water is simmering, add a 2 tsps of white vinegar - THIS IS KEY.
The vinegar holds the egg together so you don't get "egg-drop soup". Kill the eggs...start the timer for 3 minutes flat.


Using a spoon (wooden is nice) corral the white around the yolk ever-so-gently. You don't have to do this very long, just until the egg knows for sure you're the boss...or the spoon is.


After 3:15 (that's my system) I scoop up the beauties with a slotted spoon and let set on the plate for a few moments to continue cooking. The longer it sits to cool down, the oozier the yolk will be (good thing, for me at least).


White - completely done, yolk - delicious and, forgive the weird reference, "creamy"

I hope that you enjoy some eggs today. Try out something new if you want. And, although I think it's a bunch of whooey to say it - when flipping "it's all in the wrist". Whatever - practice flipping toast if you care so much.

Happy, healthy eating!

-Walter

3 comments:

  1. never done a poached egg but they are my favorite. glad i didn't try this without know about the vinegar. gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, on behalf of your uncle, appreciate knowing about the timing on your poached egg as we were just discussing this this past weekend when using my handy dandy egg poacher I got last yr for our anniversary.

    Yes, I am a fan, and, yes, I might just try to make some biscuits this w/e! Which reminds me that I need to put whole wheat flour on my grocery list. Keep a cookin' some healthy food sweet nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I should include that David Bates adds: fresh eggs are very important as the white holds together better (you can also tell freshness by the shade of yellow the yolk is - the closer to "post-it yellow" means it's older). The water "should be no higher" than 180 degrees (this...ehhh, I don't know).

    Also, I did this but didn't explain - the proper way to crack eggs is individually into a cup or saucer. This allows you to pick out broken shells (should you be a raging novice, lol) or if the yolk breaks, etc. It makes another dirty dish, but who's counting? Viva la huevos!

    ReplyDelete