Friday, December 11, 2009

Introduction: Delicious [di-lish-uhs]

-adjective
1. highly pleasing to the senses, eps. to taste or smell: a delicious dinner; a delicous aroma
2. very pleasing; delightful: a delicious sense of humor; a delicious revenge

Welcome, to what will be a feast for the eyes and your mouths! What I love to do when I'm not working is eat. Always have. I haven't always made the right eating choices - the majority of my choices I'd say, all twenty-six and a half years included. Fast food is easy, usually cheap and tastes "delicious". The delicious I defined to begin this blog is not the "delicious" I use to describe drive-thru fare. McDonalds, Burger King, et al, are all hell bent on saying, "You don't have the time to make good choices, so we're making those choices for you and making you feel like you get a deal." It tastes "delicious"- the thing is they aren't making good choices. Their ingredients are mass produced and cheaply made, increasing profit, decreasing health standards. When things get brought to light - i.e. movie popcorn in the mid 90's and how it was as fatty as three whoppers or something - "things change", and sunflower oil is used and everybody thinks it's better. Let's not forget! It's still covered in butter! Cheap doesn't mean bad, but you should think twice about what is in it.

What I want to share with whoever reads this is what I've learned from living in "fast food heaven" to learning what good food feels like. I'll post pictures of food I've made, food I want to learn how to make, and recipes for things that are easy, delicious and healthy for you. Healthy doesn't mean eating just fruits and vegetables - it means leaving a meal feeling having helped your body and, in my opinion, it should tastes awesome, too.

I'm not saying eat everything raw, but I am saying that the grocery store is your best friend and the frozen section is, too - not the drive-thru!! We won't get on the subject of organic yet (well, briefly, certified organic products are better for you - "It's science." - Ron Burgandy), but "fresh ingredients are best, frozen is next". Frozen vegetables are awesome bases for many things like soup, enchiladas, casseroles, what I called "doctored-sides" which are melting pot of things that together make something...delicious. Don't be scared to experiment!! Why not put corn in enchiladas? Why not use different cheeses to make traditional dishes, like macaroni and goat cheese (substitute almost any cheese). Easy to make (will be explained in a future post) - you can use skim milk if you want and throw in asparagus and you have a meal. Chicken would be nice, too. You get the point? Wouldn't that taste better than a freaking double cheeseburger from Burger King?!

Cooking is a hobby. I'm not a chef. I don't want to be a chef. I want to be a cook that knows how to make beautiful, tasty, delicious food that is easy. Sometimes I feel like a challenge, and I'll post those things, too, but I hope that this might influence someone to make dinner at home. Maybe learning how to make a damn good biscuit will make someone eat one at home instead of the rubber they call biscuits at McDonalds...it is possible to make a biscuit that isn't terrible for you. I will show you.
Future postings include: Every-way Enchiladas, the right way to make cookies/biscuits, Cobbler, sauces of numerous variety and other things thrown in at random.

Like I said, I love food. Food can love you back. I want to show you how to make and experience homemade meals that will taste so good...so delicious...they will be in and around your mouth. Enjoy. And wipe your mouth.

-Walter

Examples to peak your interest...
[CLICK TO ENLARGE]

Turkey Gumbo


Herb and Garlic Rubbed Salmon with Spinach and Mixed Greens


Peach Cobbler

More to come...

3 comments:

  1. Walter-
    I love, love, LOVE this blog!! what a fun idea i cant wait to share with you maybe some yummy vegan treats? miss you a whole bunch talk to u soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just enjoyed some of the best breakfast food ever... lite white biscuits (one half with honey and the other with sausage gravy, noted above)... perfect 3minute poached egg over Cheese grits.... Ahhhhh the benefits of knowing the Wizalter!!!!

    Here is an awesome vid about a great book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m2Z8A6MWLRW1OO

    ReplyDelete